What's cooking ...

What's cooking ...

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Chili and Brown Sugar Caramel Pound Cake.

When it comes to homemade chili I am all about semi home made. Really, what is chili, beans, tomatoes, spices and where I am concerned meat. Depends on what part of the country you come from if meat is part of your favorite chili recipe or not.

I made a HUGE pot of chili for the guys to eat while they roasted the hog and got everything ready for our big yearly Capricorn Party. I made the chili the afternoon before they were going to eat it because anything with cooked tomatoes or tomato sauce ALWAYS tastes better the next day. For some reason it adds a level of flavor fresh cooked goods don't have.

So, if you're looking for a great tasting, slightly spicey, fast chili recipe here it is ...

Chili Jere Style

3 - pounds of lean hamburger, cooked.

1 - pack McCormick Tex-Mex Chili Seasoning

1 - pack McCormick Original Chili Seasoning

2 - 15oz cans of Light Kidney Beans, with the liquid

2 - 15oz cans of Dark Kidney Beans, with the liquid

2 - 15oz cans of Black Bean, with the liquid

Stir it all together until completely mixed.

2 - 28oz cans of Ro-Tel Original Diced Tomatoes with Green Chili's

5 - 14oz cans of Hunts Diced Tomatoes with Green Peppers, Celery & Onions

Stir again and bring to a rolling boil while gently stirring.

Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool down and put in fridge until ready to serve (next day or two) reheat and serve.

Makes about 8 quarts. The recipe can be easily cut in half.

http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/recipe-conversion-calculator.html

Serve with Whole wheat cracker & real butter or shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese, or homemade sweet coarse cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet.

I know I preach clean eating. Tomatoes from a can are still clean eating, the Hunts brand a I use are actually 100% Natural. Hamburger can be organic. The beans I use both ways. If I plan a meal with beans I use dried beans and plan other meals to use up the whole bag. For this recipe and my time frame it was just easier to use canned beans. By not rinsing them I know it adds salt, but I don't add anymore to the recipe. I use either the premade chili mix or I make my own, I have recipes for all kinds of mixes you can buy, but I figured most people would just buy a mix and I wanted it to taste the same so I used a mix this time.

Make up a batch one weekend and you can have a couple dinners through the week with it. Eat is as chili with crackers one night, mix it with your favorite cornbread recipe and bake it one night, and pour it over baked potatoes another night and add the shredded cheese to it.

The Caramel Cake recipe will be in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment